10.24.2013

The Eastcoast Jam, Day 7

I am an Evolutionary Global Warming agnostic.
Given my place in life, surrounded by those of faith and science, this lack of position frustrates everyone, an unintended, if not slightly amusing, consequence.
The Smithsonian Museum of Natural History, however, is a died-in-the-wool evangelist on these matters. This doesn't particularly surprise me, and as someone who has spent countless unnecessary hours over the past 20 years reading and thinking through these matters, the fabulous, wonderful and breathtaking museum has minimally affects my thoughts on the established fact -vs- theory of macro-evolution and anthropocentric cause of changes on earth. What I noticed within the museum (overwhelmingly noticed) is its clear sales pitch on these two issues.
Hundreds of thousands of people traverse these corridors yearly, people who are ready to absorb the message and well-earned prestige of this museum. In these battles (for the hearts, minds and dollars of the masses), message and presentation matter. The Smithsonian Museum of Natural History has oriented a substantial portion of its influence to proselytize for these two issues, a term consciously used to communicate how it felt to be there.
As a parent who recognizes the lack of sincerity on both sides of these two arguments, I am challenged to try and create a reasonable presentation of these issues for my 7, 8, 10 and 12 year-olds. Summarize while encouraging their critical thinking on difficult issues. I am at odds doing so.

We had a great day in DC, and will be back. On a lighter note:
from D.C.