While I was less than excited going into this northern adventure, my kids were ecstatic: We're going to CANADA!
I warned them of the pitfalls of Canada: Martin Short, the national anthem and that they don't celebrate the 4th of July. It didn't matter; they wanted to visit another country, even one where the only reason you knew you were in another country was the minor grilling we received when crossing the border.
Observations:
- Niagara Falls, Ontario is a hole. It might actually be the hole at the bottom of the sea. I've spent 12+ years of parenthood giving my children better, deeper, more substantive, less tacky life-experiences... only to be undone by this place. 24 hours here and I long for the simple, classy life of Downtown Disney, where everybody knows your name.
- Elizabeth: "I like these little stores." (speaking of the long strip of
giftjunk shops lining all pavements in a 1 mile (1.6km) radius. "Canadians must be very proud. Everything in their stores is covered in their flag." For years to come, her perspective on the life of a typical Canadian will include $2.99 t-shirts with various maple leafs and polar bears on them. - The Bowling's purposefully dined at a fast food place at lunch, after being overwhelmed at the food prices. For dinner, we were joyful to walk out for <$80 at a non-wait staff establishment with no alcohol.
The falls were nice; a once-in-a-lifetime experience. We loved them, and let their effects substitute for the day's showers.