It was a valuable day for all, including the kids, who did remarkably well, considering the lack of electricity, motion pictures, sugar, or general organization. We walked, gawked, ventured, and enjoyed the enormity of the place. We climbed over, under, through Devil's Den, a boulder field where dozens of men fought hand to hand to take, lose, and retake this position. Many died here 150 years ago, while for my kids, it was a playground of dreams: boulders, caves, crevasses, places to hide and seek. It was a joy to watch them.
| The Home of a Rebel Sharpshooter, by Timothy O'Sullivan |

We finished the day out with a meal at Hofbrauhaus in Abbotstown:
- Pulling in at 5:06pm, we assumed we would fully beat the evening crowd. As table after table of folks came pouring in with us, we were found wrong. I'm not saying anything in particular, I'll just state that the cumulative ages of the 6 Bowlings was not near the average age of the rest of the diners.
- The first thing you notice when entering Hofbrauhaus (say that fast 3 times while patting your belly) is that it smells like my Mama's house from when I was a kid. I'm pretty sure it smells like your Mama's house too. And yours' too.
- While there were various long names with lots of consonants littering the menu, you essentially are served sausages and thinly sliced, lightly fried meats.