1.01.2009

Year in Review - 2008

January: Hanging out in the crib.

February: I take a nap in the back of the van, no seatbelts in sight, and then get dumped in the lap of two whities. Sorry, that is insensitive. Strike that last comment. Then, off for a two-week jaunt through the motherland, constantly cold (I only had 3 layers on instead of the time-honored tradition of 4). Mostly good, except for a tomato incidence (don't ask).

March: First Day of the Rest of My Life
Arrive in another orphanage after a long flight with lots of sleep. 3 other kids, all girls. one keeps hugging me, the other doesn't notice me, and the 3rd pushes me around. I meet some older folks, who keep hugging me.

April-May: Get my bearings, meet more older folks, and try and avoid frustrating my parents, which is harder than it seems. Spend a lot of time getting sent to my room and standing against the wall until I stop crying. I don't remember why I was crying, but it seemed a recurring theme. First trip to the beach, which was a great experience. I got a tan, played in a cold hot tub, and sat in the sand for as long as mommy would allow. AND, while everyone else had to share a room with others, I got to sleep by myself in my very own CLOSET. The McKinney clan proves themselves a loving bunch. Still a bit put off that I didn't get a new pillow-case dress.

June-August: One-Two-Three-JUMP!!! The pool is COOL. There was a week or so that I got rather tired of bed-time obedience. I mean, c'mon, I've got my own room, light, toys, and I'm my own man. Well, that is, until the WE ARE MARSHALL night, where I started going to bed at 7:30 in my room, but ended up sleeping in the front foyer on the floor with no blanket and no pillow at 11:00. You know, after that night, I decided bedtime wasn't such a bad idea afterall.

September: Surgery #1 - Goldenhar Syndrome - Trick me, Drug me, Break my jaw, Clamp it back, Run a screw up the side of my face, and keep me tube-tied for three days. All so my smile straightens out a bit - ever heard of braces.

October: Surgery #2 - so the side of my face starts expanding, and keeps expanding, and I find myself on my back, sucking down the Happy Juice, and then I go blank. Then I find myself missing some teeth, with a red finger, and on my back for another couple of days the the Rite.
Somewhere around here, I decide its time to start learning a few words and communicating with what I believe they call "consonants". I get to come home in time for Trick-r-Trea, Candi Plea, which I do believe is the year's highlight.

November:

December: Lights! Look! Lights! More Presents! Presents Please! Lights! Ckismas Tree! I banked on the Grandparents - doubled the room loot.