6.04.2011

On my Birthday...

Needless to say (except in this circumstance, of course), Garrett has used this term in the upper 1000s of times in the past couple of weeks. One cannot accuse him of not being singularly focused.
And yes, in two days, this classic gooberhead will turn 6 years old. It was touch and go for a while, not sure if he was going to pull it out and actually turn six. A rash outbreak of bed-wetting in April put it in peril, "Garrett, if you do this again, I am not going to let you turn six." I'm not sure if the random nature of such reversions to infancy or my clearly articulated position on his ability to grow up motivated him, but the bed's been dry.
Garrett's social circle is rather limited, hampered by him being the only son with three sisters, Maggie play-dating with mostly girl-oriented families, Alex being out of town this weekend, as well as his age. But we pulled out a rather enjoyable McD hang with dad and kindergarten friend Noble. He got an hour on the indoor playground, a Kung Fu Panda 2 shooting object (made in his hometown, about his hometown), and a Cars 2 lego set (again, made in his hometown, while set in a neighbor historically pivoted as a rival state, but which has shown a general cooling of tensions in recent decades). All in all, not bad.
This preliminary event is merely the lead up to Monday night, where Garrett has requested a birthday dinner at IHOP, "my favorite place." I would wait to write then, so as to be able to capture the full nature of this event; but I fear that I will be exhausted by both experiencing and discussing his birthday.