6.07.2008

performance of a lifetime

I will admit that my first reaction to Maggie's mentioning that Emily would be performing a 'solo' in the Music Camp week-end performance last night was dread. Emily learned at an early age in the back of the car to imitate a certain local voice who tends to waver in their notes and pulls it off beautifully. But the 18 month old Em tended to take these unintended lessons right to the Saturday-afternoon-Star-Search heart. There have not been a few times I have erupted in request to quit her singing... I've even been a bit convicted about it once or twice (she is a kid, after all, even if she sounds like an "Idol" reject).

But last night, she did beautifully. Nothing to make me want to sign her to an agent, but a nice sweet gentle voice singing of God's goodness. I was proud, and my ears were unharmed.

As an aside, Maggie has started teaching Emily on the piano this past week. "Dad, you should come hear me... I know a ton!" Just think what she would have known if she started last week. I cannot believe we missed such an opportunity.
-aeb